1734 St. Gallen - Leipzig 1816
The print shows the small town of Herrnhut not far from Görlitz and Zittau in Upper Lusatia, a part of Saxonia. The town is known as the founding home of the religious community of the Herrnhuter Brüdergemeinde. In 1722 Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf (1700–1760) gave asylum in his house there to Moravian Protestants expelled from their country due to religious persecution. This community expanded and sent out missionaries; today it is known as the Moravian Church, with branches not only in Herrnhut and Bad Boll in Germany but also in the United States in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Zingg’s view shows the village of Herrnhut with the prayer hall in the center and the cemetery on the side of the Hutberg mountain. At the top is an observation tower, built in 1790. To the right of the image is the former house of Zinzendorf that became the headquarters of the community after his death (as it remains). Zingg shows the village as an idealized Enlightenment city with classical structures, elegantly attired inhabitants, and a tree-lined path leading to the mountain ranges beyond.