1810 Dresden – Naples 1895
Count von Bredow, Potsdam Karl & Faber, Munich, sale 66, November 3–4, 1958, lot 283
Kurt Hammelsbeck, Cologne
Hauschild began his training as an architect in 1826 at the Dresden Academy. He remained an assistant teacher there from 1838 to 1852. He visited Rome three times: in 1833, 1841, and 1846. After quitting his teaching post he went back and forth between Dresden and Rome, ultimately settling permanently in Naples. A regular participant at exhibitions in Rome, Hauschild specialized in architectural views, focusing on buildings from the Gothic and Romanesque as well as the early Christian periods.
Our drawing depicts a small square in Lacco Ameno on the northern coast of Ischia with a view on the Monte Epomeno in the distance. One may safely say that all the expectations of the northern viewer of such a scene are fulfilled here: in the shade to the left, women come together to do their needlework; a mendicant monk enters the scene in the foreground; and the right half of the composition is filled with figures eating grapes and drinking wine—appropriate for the month of September when this drawing was executed. Not surprisingly, given Hauschild’s architectural training, all the details of the modest rural architecture are carefully rendered, with even the cupola of a church visible beyond the pergola to the left. The drawing convincingly evokes the afternoon light of a late-summer day in southern Italy.